Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Turn off Your Mind

Holy cow! It has been almost a whole month since I blogged... I just haven't had any good ideas, and (sadly) I have been lazy. But! It is summer for me now, so no more excuses. Anyways. A few weeks ago I went to Ruby Valley to visit my aunt. Ruby Valley is a little countryside out in the middle of nowhere, and I can honestly say it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I went with my brother and sister. While I was there we went camping with my cousin. We left pretty early and had a couple of hours until dinner time. We decided to go hike up to a waterfall. But wait... The trail was over grown. And there were thick 7 foot tall bushes. With thorns. At one point I was stuck. I couldn't move and they had to come help me. It was also steep. But, knowing my family, we must continue! After about an hour and a half, I spoke up and told them I was done. I was worn out, and we had really only gone half a mile. And apparently, everyone was waiting for someone to say that, because everyone came back with me. And we tried a different route this time to avoid the bushes. What did we get? Rocks and boulders to climb down. Lots of these had drops that go past my waist. I have never been one to love heights, and when you have drops like that with thorny bushes, it's a perfectly good time to freak out. (Here is where the title fits in) While I was in that situation, I had to shut off my mind. I couldnt freak out. What good would that do me? I really had to tell myself that now is not the time to think about "what if I fell?" or anything like it. The reason I am talking about this, is because I realized that sometimes we over think. We may be in a troubled time, or angry, or offended, or anything. And we are irrational. I am guilty of irrationality. A few weeks ago, while I was in the chamber callbacks, I had another experience like this. I was with a bunch of people I didn't know, and honestly I was scared. But I couldnt be scared, because I would fail if I was, and I knew that for a fact. I had to tell myself to get over it and sing as if you know everyone here, and you sing together all the time. And I did. And I got in. You all know something you are guilty of with things that you should either get over, or something similar to what I said earlier. I want to challenge you for the following week, to find something where you need to shut off your mind. It will help you, and I encourage you to at least try.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you're a good teacher! I like your stories. I am guilty of irrational over-thinking. I know exactly the area where I need improvement, so I'll take this challenge too! : )

    ReplyDelete